Moving locally feels overwhelming, so can you imagine moving long distance? We understand that moving so far away from what you’re used to can be extremely stressful, especially if you’re worrying about your belongings. Well, we can confidently say, with Daymakers – it doesn’t have to be this stressful.
We’re here to help you with any type of move, whether that be residential moving or long distance moving, we’re here. Let’s start with our top 5 moving tips to help you gain confidence in your move.
Create a Timeline
The first thing you want to do to kick off your moving process is to create a timeline. This will keep your move organized from start to finish.
2 Months Before
- Toss out, donate, and give away items you don’t need (you know – the items you haven’t touched in over a year)
- Request estimates from a few moving companies and read customer reviews to help you pick the best one (like Daymakers – we promise you’ll like what you see)
- Locate important records like birth certificates, passports, school, and ver records, etc. – so they don’t get misplaced during the move
45 Days Before
- Gather FREE moving supplies – including boxes and packing paper (from your friends at Daymakers) or your local grocery store
- Pack up things that you don’t need, like home decor, books, and out-of-season clothing
- Notify your bank, utility companies, and internet service provider that you’re moving
1 Month Before
- Contact your home insurance provider to ensure you have coverage the day you move into your new home
- Set up mail forwarding with USPS, so you don’t miss out on any mail or packages
- Wrap up any last-minute home repairs so you can focus on packing for the next few weeks
2 Weeks Before
- Schedule a babysitter or a pet sitter for your two- and four-legged family members
- Stop buying frozen foods and start eating through what you have to avoid waste
- Set up a final walkthrough with your landlord (if applicable)
Few Days Before
- Clean rooms as you finish packing and empty them out
- Create a first-aid kit to have on hand for any moving day mishaps
- Pack an overnight bag with necessities so you know where to find your must-haves
- Do a final walkthrough of your empty house to make sure you didn’t forget anything
- Make sure you have your cellphone, phone chargers, and new house keys on hand at all times
- Note meter readings at your old house before you leave and when you get to your new home
- Order takeout for dinner and enjoy the memories of settling your family into your new home
Declutter Your Home
To ensure a smooth moving process, go through all of your belongings and purge what you don’t need. This gives you the opportunity to organize everything into 4 different piles: Donating, Selling, Garbage, Keeping.
If you’ve found breakables that you want to pack up ahead of time, grab plastic wrap or bubble wrap and thoroughly package them to be ready for moving day. Fragile items are harder to move, so the sooner you get those packed and stored somewhere safe until moving day, the easier it will be.
Packing clothes is easy. You can either grab garbage bags, boxes, or bins and start putting away the off-season clothing to prepare for moving day. You can also throw all of the clothes you are donating into garbage bags and separate them so you can throw them into your car and head to your local charity drop off location.
If you’ve found things to sell, simple keep them in their own pile and either host a yard sale or take pictures of them and post them on Facebook Marketplace, Mercari, or any other selling platform.
Gather Packing Supplies
Gathering packing supplies ahead of time will save you from a lot of running around when your moving day approaches. You can either talk to us about our FREE moving boxes and supplies or, ask your local grocery and retail stores if they have any you can have.
It’s also smart to start stocking up on bubble wrap, packing tape, paper towels, plastic bags, and any other packing materials you see fit.
Choose a Moving Company
Start your research for a moving company that will be the best fit for your needs earlier than later. You’ll want to check out customer reviews, their social media profiles, browse through websites, and talk to your friends and neighbors.
At Daymakers, we offer moving services that include residential moving, long distance moving, and we can even move your business.
We also offer storage services. We have 2 storage facilities in our area that are ready for you to store your items safely until you need them.
We’re confident that you’ll like what you see when you check out our reviews, as we are a 5-star moving company on Google, ready to take on any job.
Research Your New Area
If you are moving long distance, you’re probably not too familiar with the new area you’ve chosen to move to. With that said, it’s important to do as much research as you can prior to your move. It’s even worth taking a trip in person to see if you like it.
Check out the school systems, local stores, restaurants, things to do, demographics, etc. Familiarizing yourself with your new spot is crucial prior to making the decision to move so far away.
Need More Tips and Tricks?
For more tips and tricks, click here. We’ve provided both videos and content covering all of the moving and packing tips you need. We also have a moving FAQ page to help answer any questions you may have leading up to your move as well as blogs that cover a moving checklist, the best packing process, and more.
Ready for a FREE Moving Estimate?
We’re ready to give you a free moving estimate as well as the best moving experience you could ask for. Just head to this page, fill out the form, and we’ll have someone contact you ASAP to get the ball rolling. We’re so excited to be a part of your journey and can’t wait to see where you’re headed!